![]() |
Pacific Grove Triathlon![]() |
Believe it or not, I don't. However, I know the benefits of running. It makes me a better basketball player and athlete. So, I run. I enjoy having run vs. running.
Some of you may still be scratching your head because I do triathlons. However, as my good friend Pastor Dennis McFadden says, there's a big difference between a triathlete versus a person who does triathlons (I'm the latter of the two).
However, I have learned to enjoy running on the beach with the wet sand beneath my feet and having the Pacific Ocean's refreshing water splash upon my calves as I feel the power of the waves and marvel at God's creation. Time almost stops for me while I run on the beach. Contrasting running on the beach is running on a treadmill. I don't care what song I have on my iPod nor what is on the television screen - I can't wait until my workout time is complete!
I feel so much of education today is making students run on a treadmill. It's all about being efficient with working their brains. Set the pace. Set the distance. Set the time. Set the incline. Now, hit the "start" button! Will they get a workout? Yes. Will they enjoy it, though? I wonder if that thought ever even crossed their minds as an option.
As their educators and coaches, why do we seldom ever consider having students get involved in designing their training? We all know that the goal is to get their "heart rates up" and what it means to intensify their workouts. Yet, so few of us ever allow students to explore and be involved with what they would like to do that would not only achieve the same results, but in actuality, may challenge them even more while having them savor the experience!
What caused you to change your attitude/perspective of something that you once dreaded to something that you began to enjoy?


No comments:
Post a Comment